Saturday, January 30, 2021

Learning to Say Goodbye

Day 30 of Month 30 with the MG Family.
I have no words to express how thankful I am, how thankful I have been to be part of this team.

Saying goodbye is not new to me. At all. My family and I moved around quite a bit while I was growing up - whether to different states altogether, or simply moving houses. Later came the saying goodbye to my country as I moved to a different one, moved back, and then away again. I've heard stories of some who move around and just don't put down roots because it's difficult when it comes time to uproot.

It is difficult.

I'm not someone who can go through life and relationships without putting down roots. Something I've come to learn in the past month or so is that it's not so much of where my roots are physically as it is where, or in this case, Who my source is.

I love people, I love being part of community. I love reaching out, and I love building friendships. I'm a relational person, but I also realise that there is wisdom in having an 'inner circle' to journey with. I'm talking about the guys who see me at my best, and my worst. They are the first ones I want to share news with, whether good or bad. There are some who journey together for a season, and others who journey for a much longer period.

Above all these relationships is my relationship with the Father.

He's been teaching me the importance of prioritising my relationship with Him, the value that comes from sowing into that, and how it then spills over into how I relate with the others around me and the community He places me in.

The past few weeks have been a pretty extreme roller-coaster ride. To date. It probably gets crazier as I stay on, but just like the safety harness, I know He's got me. All He requires is for me to rest in Him. Come along with Him for the ride, experience the things He's taking me through. Allow Him to give me the grand tour of my life. It almost seems too easy - but 'seems' is the catch.

The surrendering is hard.
The not getting overexcited and running ahead to explore is hard.
The saying goodbye when it's time to move to the next thing is hard.
The being ok with having to say goodbye is really hard.

I don't typically do floor service here, but I do have a small group of regulars who I have the pleasure of serving when they come in. I've got clients I have come to work very closely with, some of whom have been nothing short of patient and encouraging as I communicate with them in a language and with skills I'm picking up on the go.

As I reflect and take stock, I'm pretty amazed at how much I've learnt in my time here. None of it came from me saying I've never done it before so I can't. By God's grace and mercy, it was all happening so fast that I really didn't have the time to stop and think and convince myself that I had no experience therefore I couldn't. I've learnt not to tell God what I can and cannot do, and just let Him take me through the things He wants to teach me. One of the most precious things about Him leading me on this journey is that some of the things I've had the pleasure of picking up along the way, and even some of the connections (hello, Muramatsu!) have been purely for the delight of my heart.

My chapter with MG may be coming to a close, but I will always be Team MG. There has been such favour in this community of companies and it is truly an honour to be able to walk and learn with them. I am so grateful for the welcome they have extended, and continue to extend even after I step into my next adventure.

They took a chance on me, gave me room to grow.
They are family.

No comments:

Post a Comment