Today is Malaysia Day, and I am thankful to be Malaysian.
Often I hear "Malaysia boleh" being tossed around as a jab at Malaysia and her people. I've done this myself. Every nation has its quirks, and Malaysia is no exception.
Growing up, I remember holding a blue passport, also called a Limited Travel Document. I was born in Penang, living in Sarawak, and my siblings and I had to go through a student visa application for every year we were there. My father was on a tourist visa for all of his 14 years there as a missionary and voluntary church worker - he had to leave the state every three months. My mother had to get a letter from the school every year (and later on, every six months) to recognise or acknowledge her as our guardian. It was frustrating at times, and I wondered why, as a Malaysian, I had to still do this.
Now that I'm older and I look back, I understand. Malaysia is a federation that was formed on September 16th, 1963 comprising of Malaya, Singapore, Sabah, and Sarawak. Among the articles of the agreement were that Sarawak would keep its freedom of religion, and she would also have control over the immigration laws. I saw this as something very special, and I have been blessed to be able to call Sarawak - Kuching specifically - the home of my heart.
I grew up with diversity in culture, but among a people who stood united. I was rooted in church and community, was blessed to be exposed to, and later part of the rich musical heritage. I was blessed to be among a people who personified the melting pot that is Malaysia.
It was also there that I met Lavender. She was tiny then - I'm closer in age to her brother. Our families used to sit along the same row in church, and it was her late father who was instrumental in getting me involved in the church worship ministry. He was a great encouragement and blessing as he went out of his way to have me as part of the team, which often involved being my ride to and from rehearsals and services.
Now, years later, I am thankful for the training I had there, and this standstill has brought the breaking of barriers. Lavender and I ended up reaching out across the borders - myself in Singapore and she in Kuching, to collaborate in a prayer and blessing for Malaysia. It has truly been a joy and privilege to work on this cover of 'Sejahtera Malaysia'.
There is no simple translation for the word 'sejahtera'. It is peace, harmony, unity in the diversity. It is a hope and a blessing, a meeting in the middle. It is beautiful, and most of all, it is my prayer for the nation.
At the centre of everything I know is my God - the Creator of all. My Creator. It is to Him that I lift this prayer and blessing over my nation, because I know He loves Malaysia - more than I ever could.
I was asked recently if I am patriotic. My heart beats for nations, it beats for people. I love the diversity of culture, and I am proud of my heritage. Beyond the politics and the view that the world has of my country (which I do not claim to understand), I have a deep love for my nation. It is as the Lord has willed, and as such will it remain.
No comments:
Post a Comment