Friday, June 19, 2015

Musings in June~

I am thankful for people in my life who take the time to get to know me and who continue to inspire me.

It's been an interesting month so far.

It started with the whole one and a half weeks leading up to the two-year anniversary of the celebration of Kak Y's life. It was a difficult time, but I tried to think of the legacy she left behind and the people she loved. She was loved. Still is. I miss her.

Life had to go on though, and from the previous post, we know I picked up crocheting. I've had this amazing individual who stepped into my life in a bigger role than he had taken for the past five years - he's been causing the churning of ideas. It started out as a silly little idea where I wanted to crochet an octopus using the balance of the yarn I had from the Stuffie project.

On April the 29th, as I was trying to work out the pattern into a more readable/understandable format, I came across this pattern for a tiny octopus measuring about 4cm across. I picked up my hook and started on it and in under an hour, came up with an adorable-looking octopus. I made another one (the pattern source said they were stackable! I had to test that out, right?) and lo and behold, stackable they were! There was a problem - they had frilly legs, not tentacles. I paid for a pattern with variations, downloaded the .pdf, and started experimenting.

Two days later, a lightbulb went off in my head as I was crocheting and chatting with the very same dear friend who now takes care of Stuffie. The Takoyarnies. That was what I was going to call them. It's funny and witty and absolutely adorable. (To you who know who you are that I am referring to - yes, it's adorable and don't you try to dispute it.)

I got more yarn of different colours, and from just one pattern, decided that I was going to have variations to my Takoyarnie Army and work up to a number large enough that they would look amazing when lined up in rows. Plus one sotong.

Long story short, I got 11 colours, made three octopi in 10 out of the 11 colours, and two sotongs out of the remaining one colour. I stitched little bead eyes on all 30 'yarnies, and stuck crazy eyes on the 2 sotongs - 'Tongs for short. All of them went in a small bag that went into my bigger bag and we took a trip down to where Stuffie made its home.


Look at them! They're adorable!


Stuffie's pretty glad to have more company now, and though nothing has happened yet, there are rumours that invasion will start soon, on a small scale at first and then - well. Rumours are but rumours, no?

On a different note, something new's started. Yeah sure. One can argue that it was back in January (or November). No, it wasn't an explosion or great big drama or anything like that. In fact, it feels really natural and comfortable. It feels nice. I now have a hand to hold and someone I can lean on.

Thank you for being willing to take a chance on me.

*photo courtesy of him who was willing to take a chance on this crazy lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment