I fell for autumn.
Autumn has always been idyllic in my mind, something I looked forward to experiencing...eventually. I thought maybe it'd be in Wales, but that hasn't happened. What did happen though, was an autumn surprise in South Africa earlier this year - my first transnational trip outside of the Southeast/East Asia region.
The past year has been filled with God-executed surprises.
It started with me being able to spend my 31st with beloved family back home due to a visa emergency and a passport emergency. Then, I was emergency activated with 10 hours' flight notice for the last bit of the Indonesia di Hatiku prayer tour where I got to see more of Indonesia, joining heart and hand in prayer, and working with sound and media teams in different cities.
Papuan Christmas was a whole new world and lasted from November till the beginnings of February (maybe even till Easter haha.
Then came 2024 with the unexpected experience of autumn on the surprise South Africa trip. Seeing the autumn leaves turn colour and flutter to the ground was everything I thought it would be and more. The temperature was a nice surprise too! It never connected in my mind that autumn comes with cooler weather. Meine Mutter called me a polar bear because of how much I was enjoying the low double to single digit temperature. They also said that the cold was rolling in sooner than they thought it would. (I think God did it just for me ☕)
Amidst the wonderful missions and experience of a new culture (also the surprise of authentic Indian food that's not available in Papua but very much a part of Malaysian culture), there was also the surprise of intentional space made for experiencing the wildlife of South Africa up close and personal.
Towards the end of our five weeks there, I was asked if I was feeling homesick and ready to go back to SEA lands. I was reminded of a quote SKJ shared with me - "let not our longing slay the appetite of our living". To make the fullest out of the present circumstance, to live in the present so I don't miss what God is doing in my now.
Coming back to Papua, I felt an invitation from the Lord to let Him stretch my capacity, and I said yes to start being an active voice. The differences in Bahasa Melayu and Bahasa Indonesia, had previously caused me to refrain from extensive sharing/teaching and the like for fear of miscommunication and misrepresentation of the Word. Within a short timespan, there were different opportunities to share and in various ministry and church settings. I also did my first international team teaching. It was precious to be able to share things close to my heart and experiences that the Lord's been taking me through. What made it even more special was being able to call my parents for SOS prayer, and know that they were sowing with me. For the times where I had more preparation time, they made time for me to bounce my thoughts and unpack Scripture with them.
In the midst of all of that, a passing whisper of "I wonder when my next trip home will be..." was the precursor to God pulling yet another surprise of a work trip back to my home church, and then to a city in my heart's homeland. It was both amusing and heartwarming to be back 'home', but also felt 'new' as the Lord began to speak to my heart about how he's woven parts of my story with the thumbprint of different nations on my heart. Going back to Sarawak on what I would consider my first official assignment in a role transition was so incredibly defining and moving as I witnessed and felt God bringing the sounds of my islands to a point of convergence in my heart.
This time of the year is what I usually associate with autumn, and is also one of the times of the year when I reflect on my journey and growth. The annual family celebration was a time of lots of good tears and encouragement. God is so, so kind, and so, so faithful. He's the best planner and best surpriser, and I so look forward to continuing to take each step with Him, with my hand in His.
With the mark of my 32nd year, all I have to say is this - my soul is satisfied.
No comments:
Post a Comment