Just shy of a couple of weeks ago, a relatively newfound close friend decided to spare me her oven. I had a longtime close friend prepping for her wedding dinner and I had a task - to bake 300 heart-shaped shortbread cookies. At first glance, and per calculations according to two test batches I made, it didn't seem like a massive task.
It took me a total of six days of creating in different stages.
The weather wasn't cooperative, and there was much frustration with regards to the handling of the dough and forming of the cookies. Each batch of dough was carefully rolled out and then embossed with a lace design at random angles, then cut with a cookie cutter I had specially bent and altered to create the desired shape...and then the transfer to the cookie sheets happened. I think this, and the packaging, were the most difficult stages of this project.
The cookies turned out to be more fragile than I had anticipated, and I ended up breaking about 10% of the total I had made (more than 300, thankfully). My sister called me a heartbreaker. I was getting really stressed towards the end and ended up packing cookies till 0300. Then the next headache came. Since the cookies were that fragile...how to transport them?? I was also pretty dead in the brain, so driving around was a challenge.
Long story short, the cookies were a success. They looked pretty too! See?
The silver was my favourite, followed by the red. Getting the right colour mix was another puzzle for me.
Look at the pretty packaging that was a pain in the neck to wrap!
The weekend was busy, but it was fruitful. More MuRa things happened, MuRa and lil' bro J got together to catch up (I'm so proud of him!), as we also did with a couple of other MPYO people.
Aiyo and Jer got married. Finally. Now to get used to calling them A's husband/J's wife.
At the end of the week, I'm still pretty tired. It's nice to have some space where I can just chill and recharge though. It's been a good week.
I'm done with shortbread for a bit.


No comments:
Post a Comment