Thursday, March 31, 2016

Steam and songs, songs and steam~~

I'm thankful for this new a cappella group I stumbled across.

I think precision work helps me blow off steam.

A flute came to me earlier this week for a pad replacement and whatever else. Yesterday was a rough-ish day and I decided I was going to get to work on the flute. Suffice to say, I pretty much completed what I had to do in half the time I expected. Which led me to wonder...are my senses heightened when I'm upset?

I had to do some pad work on this particular flute. (Speaking of pads, I do need to stock up on a few sizes so that I don't have to keep getting them from my guys in Lion Land.) About a month ago, one of my students was asking me why pad replacement is so expensive. I told him that first of all, materials aren't available locally, unlike in the US. We have to bring in the materials, and that costs quite a bit because of how expensive postage is over there. It also doesn't help that our currency is currently not in a great place. Taking what they charge over there and converting it to our currency would give him a better estimate. Maybe.

There were moments during the work where I had to just pause and marvel at the beautiful harmonies and ingenious arrangements of covers and songs written by a country a cappella group I recently stumbled across. They're a completely different flavour from the other a cappella quintet I listen to - tighter snare in the percussion, which is nice for this particular style. The other is more pop-y. Also, that southern twang. Mmmmmm.

One of the things that appeals to me about country music is that each song tells a story. Kind of like how I view the blues. It's interesting that I tend to gravitate towards these sorts of music. Not just songs that make statements, but that actually are like a mini play. Maybe this makes me more emo or whatever, but meh. I like stories, I like good harmony. I like melodic sorts of things. Which explains why I find it difficult to listen to varieties of metal or even some of the pop stuff. Good harmonies, good beat and drive, good lyrics.

Catchy stuff.

Anyways, steam is blown, this is my monthly update.

No comments:

Post a Comment